List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: gstreamer instead of mpeglib
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2001-04-01 22:51:48

   Hi!

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 04:56:53PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
> GStreamer seems to have a nice design and it supports
> much more formats, even encoding!
> Anyone interested in writing GStreamer/Arts
> PlayObject plugins?
>
> I don't say that we should rm -rf mpeglib now, but
> in the future (KDE 3.0?) GStreamer will be the
> better option.

I am not too sure about it. Of course, interoperability is a nice thing to
have. But GStreamer uses glib (which currently no other part of KDE/aRts
requires - although aRts /supports/ glib style main loops), and a C based
object oriented model based on that.

Ultimately, having a native aRts lowpass filter for sound or native aRts
mp3 decoder will be more optimal. The code will be prettier, the performance
might be better, the dependancies might be less, the look&feel and integration
in the IDL stuff and flow system might work more sane.

Although I see that some work might be left to do - currently mpeglib decoders
are not integrated the way in aRts that I would wish they were: a lot of talk
has gone into this (seeking/streaming PlayObjects). If you ask for my personal
opinion, I'd be more happy with cleaner, more aRts-ish PlayObjects for mp3s
than with depending on GStreamer to do such a simple task as playing an mp3.

But well, it's up to whoever writes the code to choose what to do ;)

   Cu... Stefan