List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: gstreamer instead of mpeglib
From:       Carsten Griwodz <griff () ifi ! uio ! no>
Date:       2001-04-02 5:50:35

Hi,

I looked at the gstreamer for the first time when Martin sent the pointer
a few days ago. I didn't look with data processing in mind, but for the
possibility to integrate network protocols and data forwarding.

I was interested in details that we need for our RTSP/RTP proxy cache and
client. I would have been quite happy to adopt their code because we don't
have any reasonable graph managment, no reasonable negotation of data
types between stream handler etc etc.

The following things are not there:
- they will consider seeking in the future, we have to have it now
- their pipes are static, we need threadsafe dynamic plugging and
  unplugging (an RTSP client pauses, data forwarding is stopped, but data
  is still stored on the disk)
- we need control data travelling upstream as well as downstream (RTCP
  packet loss notifications)
- we need events going from the stream handlers to the graph manager,
  which must be able to react by reconfiguring parameters or rearranging
  the graph without stopping the flow

I am not sure whether any of those points are important for you.

CU, Carsten