List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: FFT (the djbfft)
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-03 4:54:58

On Thursday 01 March 2001 05:04 am, Hans Meine wrote:
> Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org> writes:
> > I'm working on replacing our current fft with the djbfft (one that is far
> > faster :).
>
> AFAIK, fftw (www.fftw.org) is even better:
> - _much_ more portable
djbfft runs on intel, Sparc, PPC, Alpha, at least.  We/KDE doesn't really
support other platforms.  And if we do, mpeglib and arts may not, which makes
this a useless argument anyway :).  However, we can use fftw for those
platforms.

> - same speed (djbfft claims to be faster, though the fftw people
>  are working on importing the needed loc to gain the last missing
>  percent)
The thing I'm really worrying about on the fftw is how it has to "learn".
How long does this take?  They say several seconds.  That's too long.

> - better (cleaner) code
So? :)

> - can be put into kdesupport maybe, so we only need to link to it
>  and future updating will be much easier
This is true of djbfft ;)

--
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org>