List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Some new Sounds for KDE, better Quality
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-02-28 1:36:19

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 05:21:24PM +0100, Hans Meine wrote:

Hi,

> thanks for doing some sounds, I think this is/was badly needed. What would
> be even better IMHO (and MUCH harder to create) are less synthetic sounds -
> recordings of real nice drum sounds and so on.

We want to provide both synthetical and natural sound-themes.

> I think one could use some kind of "plonk", "pling", "bang" kind of sounds
> for different types of messageboxes. Also I think it would be nice to make

Yes!

> more simple apps knotify-aware; this is really not hard to do (if you got
> ideas, I might have a look and put some loc in your fav app). I did so
> with ksame some days ago; now it could make use of some kind of
> "cheering crowd", "oooh" or "aaaah" sounds for winning/loosing. Or maybe
> another sound for removing balls - just have a look.

Yes,yes,yes :)

> (If you create sounds for ksame I think we could ship them with it and
> activate them by default.)

We thought about having a pool of generic sounds, that can be used by many
applications, additionally to the sound-theme sounds (mostly about window
managing and "GUI"-sounds, i.e. menu-item clicked, popup menu appears,
...).

We also need some sounds suitable for games, so that finally more games
will get sound support. I'm afraid the only reason for games not having
sound support is that we don't have any sounds :}

Best wishes,
Carsten Pfeiffer