List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Kaboodle in kdemultimedia?
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-26 7:43:44

On Sunday 25 February 2001 04:47 am, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Sunday 25 February 2001 03:23 am, Nikolas Zimmermann wrote:
> > I'd say no...that just confuses the user
> > btw. i don't like adding a non-finished thing into kdemultimedia
> > If it has Konqueror Embedding that it will be good to add
> > and always have in Konq's RMB:
>
> Unfinished is a relative thing.  I consider it not quite done because I
> need to port back over Noatun's mime-type handling code, and I need to add
> some keyboard accelerators to the interface.  It's not as if the thing has
> menu items that are unimplemented or something. :-)
>
> I don't understand how it would confuse the user, though.  Noatun's the
> thing with all the nifty plugins that takes forever to load (thanks to
> slow loaders), and Kaboodle's the thing that doesn't have a playlist, but
> loads quickly.
While my f@#$ing isp was down today, I did some startup benchmarks.  Loading
those plugins doesn't take a second.  Basically, we lose all the time to the
stuff in NoatunApp::NoatunApp, and the rest to ld.so, but not ldopen.  We can
find a way to reduce startup at least 50% I think.

--
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org>
K Desktop Environment