List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    MMX stuff
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-02-26 4:36:33

Hi,

thanks to Darian Lanx <bio@gmx.net> I have a small test routine that checks
for availability of MMX and ISSE/3DNow/Cyrix Extended MMX.
IMHO it'd be a good idea to not do those checks at compile-time (as the
configure check for ISSE I added to noatun recently does), but to check at
run-time. That way there will be no problems with binary packages compiled on
some other processor than the target machine. I fancy to run the check
somewhen during startup and set a global variable to reflect the results.
What do you think?
I'm asking here as I do think that in kdemultimedia there might be the one or
other algorithm that could gain from some assembler optimization and so the
check could be added somewhere available to all of kdemultimedia and not only
noatun?

Before you flame me, I do know that KDE runs on more than just i386 platforms
and of course a portable version of the affected code is needed. OTOH, I'm
pretty sure that most KDE users do run on i386 machines and why not increase
performance for them at least?
The SSE implementation of BandPass() in noatun/library/fft.c runs twice as
fast as its C equivalent and I personally do think such a result is worth
this step.
-Malte