List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: KDE's new voice? :)
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-02-20 1:44:49

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:08:06AM -0500, Marc Girard wrote:

Hi,

> The idea of "generic" sound effects sounds good to me.  Sounds that we
> could re-use through KDE's interface.  I'll look onto that.  I'll start
> fooling around with some GUI effects at first.  Some kind of nice Stereo

great! Please drop a mail to me or this list when you've got something.
BTW, one thing I forgot about the GUI events: we should also have some
sounds for "Question", "Sorry, an operation failed" and just "Information"
(the last might be one of those bleeps). Maybe a "Warning" sound as well.

> Welcome sound would be nice I guess.  (I know that there's already one in
> place, but I guess there's room for improvement).  We could make a good
> "Logoff" sound as well.  Same applies for Close/Maximize/Minimize/etc...

Yes. Actually we have a set of 10 welcome sounds already, all done by
Ludovic Grossard <ludovic.grossard@libertysurf.fr>. They just haven't been
integrated into KDE. We'll do this with this effort, I think. For now,
I've uploaded them to http://master.kde.org/~pfeiffer/sounds/welcome/.
I can upload everything there until we use CVS.

> Yes, I know about CVS, I'm fetching KICQ2's source almost everyday via
> CVS.  I guess I could "check in" the various sounds I made without too
> much problems :)

Oh, great :) We're in a bit of hectic at the moment due to the 2.1
release, but I'll talk to one of the admins about the kde-media module and
let you know how to get CVS access.

> As the sound format, I guess 44khz/16bit is viable if we keep the sounds
> short.  22khz is OK if we use low frequency type of sounds.

Good. Another issue is compression. I don't think arts can handle ADPCM
yet, so the files should be "raw" wavs.

> Anyway, I'll fidle around some ideas, I'll make them available on my FTP
> site for now, we'll see how it goes.

Cool, looking (hearing? :)) forward!

Best wishes,
Carsten Pfeiffer