List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Network Streaming
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-01 22:47:08

On fredag 01 desember 2000, 02:36 pm, Martin Vogt wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 02:04:10PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > This is how noatun "does" network "streaming"
> >
> > Download the KURL with the kio-slaves.
> > send the local file to arts and play.
> >
> > this obviously doesn't work so well on Shoutcast streams.
>
> Because they are infinite long?
>
> > So, I'm proposing a flag in the PlayObject*.mcopclass specs to
> > differentiate between "files" and "streams" where noatun will forward the
> > URL directly for "stream" based PlayObjects.
>
> I always said:
>
> loadMedia("http://url")
> works for mp3 and mpeg video, vorbis and wav. But not for divx movies
> because the avi fileformat is not streamable.
> And if your call loadMedia("cdi://dev/cdrom") you can
> play video cds.
Yes, I've known about this, it leads to a number of problems: you can't
download and save a file at the same time, wav doesn't do this, not every
single coder will want to implement HTTP streaming, and it's not very KDE
compiliant (esp. KDE's SMB stuff)

How do I know if a playobject can download?  how do I know if it can download
from any specific protocol?

In a perfect world, noatun would pipe the data to artsd, in all cases.