List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: Network Streaming
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-12-01 22:36:54

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 02:04:10PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:

> This is how noatun "does" network "streaming"
>
> Download the KURL with the kio-slaves.
> send the local file to arts and play.
>
> this obviously doesn't work so well on Shoutcast streams.

Because they are infinite long?

> So, I'm proposing a flag in the PlayObject*.mcopclass specs to differentiate
> between "files" and "streams" where noatun will forward the URL directly for
> "stream" based PlayObjects.

I always said:

loadMedia("http://url")
works for mp3 and mpeg video, vorbis and wav. But not for divx movies
because the avi fileformat is not streamable.
And if your call loadMedia("cdi://dev/cdrom") you can
play video cds.
But maybe we should have a .mcopclass flag for "can do streaming"

> And we really should have this done by KDE2.1 (but it's also not superbly
> difficult)

its already there.

Martin