List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: noatun and KDE 2.1
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-11-25 17:29:31

On lørdag 25 november 2000, 10:10 am, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I don't think Noatun is feature complete yet, so I don't think it's time
> > for a feature freeze yet.
>
> No program is feature complete ever. But somewhen you have to release the
> first version. Keep in mind that this is not the last one. There will be
> updates.
>
> > * Effects and configuration of the effects
> > * Session Management in the UI plugins
>
> Both would ok.
One of them is also the most difficult and time consuming on this list :)

> > * Kicker applet UI / system tray UI separate from Excellent
>
> This would be fine, but is not essential at all.
>
> > * Choosing Arts::PlayObject by file mime-type, rather than by file name
> > (Konqueror does this, so people will be surprised and annoyed that the
> > "KDE Media Player" fails to do so on a double-click)
>
> This won't change in near future. But this is the playfield for Stefan
> Westerfeld (What do u think?)
This is probably better suited for noatun, and I know how to do it, but havn't

> > * konqueror kpart UI (the next thing people will expect on a
> > double-click)
>
> optional
>
> > * User selection of Arts::PlayObject when more than one supports a given
> > file (for when an SMPEG PlayObject is written, for example)
>
> optional
>
> > * Starting artsd when unavailable on startup, and restarting artsd if it
> > should disappear while Noatun is running (maybe even during playback).
> > Or, at least an informative error message, instead of a crash, when
> > problems occur.
>
> I agree here
I for one would prefer to fix arts, but I havn't.  It's a lot easier to debug
crashes when they actually occure :)

> > Supporting more skins seems to be the least of our worries, and certainly
> > seems less important than fixing all the crashes that get reported on IRC
> > and elsewhere.
>
> they don't need to be in KDE 2.1.
>
> > Don't get me wrong - I like Noatun, and I think it should become the KDE
> > media player.  I just don't think it's ready for a feature freeze.
>
> As I said, it doesn't need to be perfect and complete. It should be usable
> and stable. That's it.

The thing is, do we _really_ want to break BC for kde2.2 ?