List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: MCOP interface versioning
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-11-25 17:28:55

   Hi!

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:46:35AM +0000, DavidHamish Harvey wrote:
> On Sunday 19 November 2000 15:29, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > If we do a release, of course, this new interface will be frozen, too, and
> > the next extensions will go into V3, V4, V5, ... until we can at last merge
> > them all again, when we make a binary incompatible release (i.e. KDE3).
>
> When the versions are merged, presumeably this would be a source incompatible
> change as well as binary incompatible. Otherwise they'd have to be merged
> under the name FooVn, where n is the latest version, and you'd need Foo, and
> FooVx classes where x=2..(n-1) as synonyms for FooVn?

Yes, this is unfortunately right. But it is better to have KDE3.0 and KDE2.x
be source incompatible, than having KDE2.x incompatible to KDE2.y (which
would mean that apps will have to be upgraded all the time and will still
only work with a specific version of KDE).

I really think that interface versioning is the last resort, when nothing
else works. We will have to use though, in some cases.

   Cu... Stefan