List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: knotify issues
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-09-01 22:55:29

   Hi!

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:00:10PM +0200, Stefan Schimanski wrote:
> Am Thu, 31 Aug 2000 schrieb Stefan Westerfeld:
> > I see that the patch is already applied, however I think that the whole
> > reconnect soundserver thing might be a problem sometimes: Suppose you have
> > quite a lot of notifications (syssound) but no working server (no
> > soundcard).
> >
> > However for each notification, knotify will now try to reconnect to the
> > soundserver, block for about eight seconds, and then come back. This might
> > lead to having some important notifications pop up really really very late,
> > as knotify is busy reconnecting all the time.
> >
> > The patch impacted this because it tries to reconnect on .isNull now, too,
> > which means that even if it is always unsuccessful, it will try to
> > reconnect on each event.
>
> This was meant to be like that because otherwise many people who use kernel
> 2.4 won't get any sound event ever because artsd isn't launched on login. But
> you're right this will lead to problems if there is no artsd running at all.
> What's about reducing the 8 seconds to only one try to connect? Is there a
> reason for those 8 seconds?

Yes, there certainly is on the first connect. The reason is you don't know
which gets started first: knotify or artsd. As both are started by kdeinit
(actually knotify by klauncher), if there is an app that uses knotify to
say something before kcminit is running, then knotify is started first.

I think everything would be fine if knotify would not wait at all upon
reconnect. It could simply do

	g_soundServer = Arts::Reference("global:Arts_SimpleSoundServer");

once (which shouldn't take long if it fails), and if it doesn't work then,
skip the sound event. I think this should produce an acceptable behaviour,
then. And keep the 8 seconds for the startup only.

   Cu... Stefan