List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Why not DCOP for aRts?
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-01-21 9:48:40

   Hi!

As you know, aRts isn't using CORBA anymore, but it is also not using DCOP.
If you asked yourself: why? wouldn't that be easier? I've written something
for you...:

http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/arts-mcop-doc/why-not-dcop.html

To summarize, the issues I discussed are:

- type concept
- self describing interfaces of objects (interface repository)
- integration of streaming
- speed
  - protocol comparision
  - peer-to-peer vs. dcopserver routing
  - a (probably not quite good) benchmark
- transparent usage as lib or remote
- quality of service, stream transfer
- MCOP doesn't use Qt

By the way, MCOP is faster, and I have benchmarked it to 8000 synchronous
invocations per second while DCOP does 2000 after my tests.

   Cu... Stefan