List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: State of the Noatun
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-10-24 22:37:44

[trying to steer this back to kde-multimedia]

On Wednesday October 24, 2001 03:08, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2001 23:12, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > The main reason engine.cpp and player.cpp havn't been moved to
> > libnoatunarts is that both of them depend on other parts of noatun to
> > function.  And if you need your own media player, you can just use the
> > kaboodle kpart.
>
> Hmm... for the app I'm creating at work I was perfectly able to extract
> just engine.* from kaboodle without having to use the whole part. I
> don't want the kaboodle part's GUI, I only want the playing code. So,
> using the part would not be an option for me. (Or there should be a
> non-hacky way to use the part as plugin without GUI, haven't really
> checked, but doesn't seem the case.)

Kaboodle's part wasn't written for use directly in apps - it was made for
use by konqueror.

If there is interest in making kaboodle reusable as khtml is, with a clean
API and an installed header, binary compatibility, and all that good
stuff, I can do it.  People just have to express the interest.

> > In any case, noatun is BSD, which may explain why it's already in 3
> > places in cvs :)
>
> And in my app :-)
>
> Seriously though, 3 places in CVS + forked into non-CVS apps ==
> screaming for its own lib if you ask me.

Not when every version of engine is different, and sometimes completely
different.  Diff Kaboodle's and Noatun's engine.cpp if you don't believe
me.

 There should be _some_ way to
> generalize the code such that at least all apps but noatun can make use
> of it. Noatun is the heaviest and most feature-rich of all mde
> multimedia apps and might need its own engine. Most (all?) other apps do
> not and would benefit from a shared lib.

mmmm.. I think most use of engine.cpp is just to use it as an introduction
to how arts coding works - it's more of a template for arts coders, not a
real set of common features.  The things that need to be reused everywhere
are going in libartskde.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.