List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: State of the Noatun
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-24 22:38:40

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 02:02 pm, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 24. Oktober 2001 22:40 Charles Samuels wrote:
> > It skips like you wouldn't believe, with low or large amounts of simple
> > load.  I think this is the latency from the MCOP calls of the playobject
> > asking noatun for the next download sample (the KIO request).  Stefan
> > knows about this: have you made any progress?
>
> Buffering would be nice -- that way you could even wait until you have the
> first bytes and use KMimeMagic to determine the mimetype of the stream, so
> you can create the right PlayObject for it.

<selling>
My solution is, and always will be, to put the input buffer in its own
thread, and send it between threads via an ITC::Pipe :)

Stefan: ITC::Pipe is context-switch proof !

Order now, for only $19.95, we'll give a thread safe pipe, a threading API.

(lower! Lower!, the audience shouts)

Well, how could I possibly reduce the price any more than that?

(a few chairs fly at the spokesperson)

Ok, ok, we'll lower the price.  How about $10.00, and i'll throw in a
Remote-Thread-procedure-call system too?

(shouting "lower", etc, including chairs, maybe some rotten fruit)

Always, I'll give this all to you for free!  That's right Free!  Gratis!

(everyone runs to their phone and places their order)
</selling>

Too far? :)

-Charles