List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: State of the Noatun
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-10-24 22:30:43

On Wednesday October 24, 2001 01:40, Charles Samuels wrote:
> 1) Tag Reading
>
> Actually, this is a plugin, but I have a standard library handler for
> it. It's really quite nice.  The best part is that I have a long regexp
> in noatun now too.  You know how I feel about regexps.

Can you explain what this is, and what it does?  For the last week I've
had no time for Noatun.

> 2) Rewritten Playlist Arch.
>
> Neil suggested that the playlist have reference counting.  That sure
> turned out to be a good idea.  This should make complicated playlists
> (like, say, SQL based lists) much easier.  SPL is turning out to be
> about 25% faster, just as a cheap hack on the old version.  Once Tron is
> rewritten properly, I'm expecting it to be about 50% faster.  Neil, are
> you still having problems?

I haven't touched Noatun since committing my Tron work in progress,
actually.

> 3) Video Embedding
>
> I have a game plan for this.  Stefan's main problem with noatun is the
> "multiple-interface" thing.  My solution is that each plugin can inherit
> from a, say, VideoWidget (more or less) which will use the arts
> interface to reparent the video window.
>
> Since there are more than one plugins, there can be more than one of
> these widgets.  The catch is that each has a "name" (E.g., "Excellent"
> as a name, or "Milk Chocolate").  The user can then select which widget
> gets control. If none of these widgets exist, then there is no
> reparenting.  So it'l behave the same as it does now.

*mumble something about Noatun being a music player*

er, um, No Comment. :-)

> 4) Proper Playlist Handling
>
> I've been speaking with the author of AlsaPlayer (my player of choice
> after Noatun and mpeglibartsplay :)  We settled on a standard XML format
> for playlists:
>
> http://noatun.kde.org/formats/xmlplaylist.phtml
>
> At the least, a playlist *should* be able to export and import this
> format. Tron will use this format natively (in fact, my "spec" is based
> on Tron's format).  I'll do this for SPL, eventually.  I loathe dealing
> with QDom.

Yes, once Tron works, I'll look at that, and draft some sort of revision,
if I find anything I want to suggest.

> The other problem is with m3u playlists, the "pls" format used by
> shoutcast. How should this be dealt with?  I think a --playlist option
> for noatun, with the argument being the playlist to open.

Maybe you should say what the problem actually is with Windows playlists
before proposing a solution.  At least, I have no idea what the current
problem with them is.  SPL uses them natively, Tron can import them.

> How can this be dealt with in a powerful, but playlist-plugin friendly
> manner?
>
> Oh, and it looks like Liszt is going out of the release, because
> a) nobody knows how to use it
> b) it doesn't actually work anyway

I'd be disappointed at this.. I hope someone can pick up Liszt at some
point.

> 5) Winamp skins
>
> Apparently there are two efforts at this.  The
> NickBetcherMartinVogtFrankNichols approach (winskin in CVS), which seems
> to be unmaintained.  I heard rumors that Martin was going to maintain
> that.
>
> The second effort is by a person named "Phalanx" on IRC.  He tells me
> that he's met the completeness of Winskin.  He doesn't seem to get on
> IRC a lot, and I don't know much more about that.  If he doesn't make
> any effort on getting it to cvs, and someone doesn't want to get winskin
> release-worthy (and it's close!), then no winskin for 3.0.

*exciting background music plays as the plot nears climax*

> 6) Streaming
>
> I managed to get streaming to work.  However, I uncovered a flaw in the
> KPlayObject design: The serious lack of buffering; it's downright awful.
>  It skips like you wouldn't believe, with low or large amounts of simple
> load.  I think this is the latency from the MCOP calls of the playobject
> asking noatun for the next download sample (the KIO request).  Stefan
> knows about this: have you made any progress?

*dull, ignorant facial expression, followed by nodding*

> "It just sounds better in noatun"

"Groin-grabbingly good"

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.