List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: [noatun] New Noatun plugin - lyrics
From:       Ismael Orenstein <perdig () linuxbr ! com ! br>
Date:       2001-09-11 2:22:17

On Monday 10 September 2001 16:13, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Sunday September 09, 2001 08:51, Ismael Orenstein wrote:
> > Hey there!
> >
> > I've just finished the 0.1 version of a new Noatun plugin I'm writing.
> > It's called "Lyrics" and, as the name says, it allows you to view the
> > lyrics of the current song.
> >
> > To install it:
> > 1) Untar the noatun-lyrics.tar.gz file in your
> > kdemultimedia/noatun/noatun/modules directory
> > 2) Edit your kdemultimedia/noatun/noatun/modules/Makefile.am file and
> > add a entry for "lyrics" (or you can use the attached file instead)
> > 3) Go to kdemultimedia/ and rebuild/install the source
>
> For examples of how to make a Noatun plugin compile outside of the Noatun
> source tree (for easier packaging), take a look in
> kdeaddons/noatun-plugins, and in kdesdk for example apps.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
BTW, I was thinking about importing this plugin to the KDE CVS... can I do
it? Where should it go?

> > Then, just load the plugin into noatun (via the configuration dialog)
> > and you should have a "View Lyrics" entry in your "Plugins" (or
> > "Action") menu (the same menu that has the "ID3 Edit" action)
> >
> > This should open a new window, containing a KHTMLPart that will go to
> > http://www.songmeanings.net and search for your song.
>
> Something to think about - aren't there some tag formats that include
> lyrics optionally?

I didn't know about it... but if they included (and the tag reader understood
them), access it via the plugin would be as simple as calling
item->property("lyrics") ?

> > Current issues:
> > - To know what music to search for, the plugin fetches the "title"
> > property of the music. However, the default value for the "title"
> > property is something like "[Artist name] - Song name". AFAIK, there is
> > no way of getting only the song name without changing your tag loader to
> > display only the it in the title property. It would be ok if the tag
> > loader set up a new property, "name", containing only the song name? Not
> > only it would make this lyrics plugin a lot more usable, it would help
> > any other plugin that must use just the song name.
>
> The default now actually is just to show the title.  And it's configurable
> in any case.

Yeah, I didn't know that it was the default... this solves the problem... :)
Although I personally think that having a nice [Artist] - Song name for the
songs is a good thing... But IMO this should be provided by Noatun, not a
plugin (ie, one of Noatun's configuration options should be this name string
and the User interfaces/Playlist could call item->formattedTitle() to get a
nice, standard, title, without messing up with the internal properties of the
song)

Anyway, that's just my .02

Best regards,

--