List:       kde-multimedia
Subject:    Re: [noatun] New Noatun plugin - lyrics
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-09-10 19:13:44

On Sunday September 09, 2001 08:51, Ismael Orenstein wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> I've just finished the 0.1 version of a new Noatun plugin I'm writing.
> It's called "Lyrics" and, as the name says, it allows you to view the
> lyrics of the current song.
>
> To install it:
> 1) Untar the noatun-lyrics.tar.gz file in your
> kdemultimedia/noatun/noatun/modules directory
> 2) Edit your kdemultimedia/noatun/noatun/modules/Makefile.am file and
> add a entry for "lyrics" (or you can use the attached file instead)
> 3) Go to kdemultimedia/ and rebuild/install the source

For examples of how to make a Noatun plugin compile outside of the Noatun
source tree (for easier packaging), take a look in
kdeaddons/noatun-plugins, and in kdesdk for example apps.

> Then, just load the plugin into noatun (via the configuration dialog)
> and you should have a "View Lyrics" entry in your "Plugins" (or
> "Action") menu (the same menu that has the "ID3 Edit" action)
>
> This should open a new window, containing a KHTMLPart that will go to
> http://www.songmeanings.net and search for your song.

Something to think about - aren't there some tag formats that include
lyrics optionally?

> Current issues:
> - To know what music to search for, the plugin fetches the "title"
> property of the music. However, the default value for the "title"
> property is something like "[Artist name] - Song name". AFAIK, there is
> no way of getting only the song name without changing your tag loader to
> display only the it in the title property. It would be ok if the tag
> loader set up a new property, "name", containing only the song name? Not
> only it would make this lyrics plugin a lot more usable, it would help
> any other plugin that must use just the song name.

The default now actually is just to show the title.  And it's configurable
in any case.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.