List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac
From:       Mike McQuaid <mike () mikemcquaid ! com>
Date:       2010-08-13 7:51:22

On 12 Aug 2010, at 18:19, Sjors Gielen wrote:

> You should probably report build errors in the MacPorts packages to the MacPorts \
> packagers of KDE, not to the KDE-on-Mac lists. Their packages are, of course, meant \
> to work right away.
> KDE4 is, by the way, according to the #kde-mac topic, more up-to-date in Fink \
> (4.4.0 versus 4.3.2). I actually even intend to write a script someday for KDE4 \
> nightlies in Fink; this may or may not already exist in MacPorts.

Sorry to slightly derail this thread but is no-one else irritated at the fact it's \
nearly impossible to get a working KDE on OSX build running without using MacPorts or \
Fink? Until recently (and possibly still is still the case) if you compile on 10.6, \
KDELibs will segfault immediately on startup. MacPorts and Fink have a patch for this \
(and I reluctantly added it to Homebrew) but this hasn't gone upstream (last time I \
checked) so anyone compiling from source will find KDELibs hasn't worked for a while.

It would be good, at some point, to try and do a roll call of KDE on Mac developers \
and see if we can't form more of a team effort to get the platform a bit easier for \
people to get started with. I keep trying to do stuff myself (and for Homebrew) but \
get frustrated and give up for a while.

Thoughts?

--
Cheers,