List:       kde-mac
Subject:    Re: [KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac
Date:       2010-08-13 11:46:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Op 13 aug 2010, om 09:51 heeft Mike McQuaid het volgende geschreven:

> On 12 Aug 2010, at 18:19, Sjors Gielen wrote:
>
> > You should probably report build errors in the MacPorts packages to the MacPorts \
> > packagers of KDE, not to the KDE-on-Mac lists. Their packages are, of course, \
> > meant to work right away.
> > KDE4 is, by the way, according to the #kde-mac topic, more up-to-date in Fink \
> > (4.4.0 versus 4.3.2). I actually even intend to write a script someday for KDE4 \
> > nightlies in Fink; this may or may not already exist in MacPorts.
>

> Sorry to slightly derail this thread but is no-one else irritated at the fact it's \
> nearly impossible to get a working KDE on OSX build running without using MacPorts \
> or Fink? Until recently (and possibly still is still the case) if you compile on \
> 10.6, KDELibs will segfault immediately on startup. MacPorts and Fink have a patch \
> for this (and I reluctantly added it to Homebrew) but this hasn't gone upstream \
> (last time I checked) so anyone compiling from source will find KDELibs hasn't \
> worked for a while.
> It would be good, at some point, to try and do a roll call of KDE on Mac developers \
> and see if we can't form more of a team effort to get the platform a bit easier for \
> people to get started with. I keep trying to do stuff myself (and for Homebrew) but \
> get frustrated and give up for a while.

I've been thinking about this and while it seems a good idea at start, I nowadays \
don't think it's the way to go. Of course it's true that the packages should be \
compilable and should work on first install, but when you consider the amount of work \
needed for dependencies, keeping everything up to date and all, installing a package \
manager like Fink or MacPorts is really *way* easier than compiling an installing KDE \
from source yourself. So much for the easiness factor, which is for most of us not \
the most important factor.

The second one is the dependencies I already named. Point is: when KDE needs dbus, \
who installs dbus? It's not shipped with the operating system. If the user has to \
compile and install that himself *too*, along with the  hundred other dependencies \
of KDE, it makes the system dirtier with non-updated deps, and that could eventually \
also have negative effects on the quality of the system. (I'm not even talking, here, \
about dependencies which are by default uninstallable on Mac. Most projects care \
about that - but I've seen projects reject patches because they didn't want to have \
the additional maintaining burden of supporting another operating system.)

All in all I definitely think we should come together and improve the situation of \
"vanilla" KDE on Mac, but I think we should strongly advise against compiling and \
installing yourself, unless you really know what you're doing (for example, a KDE \
developer who has everything in Fink/MacPorts and simply wants to build kdewhatever \
for himself). We should then, in my opinion, have a policy of sharing patches between \
Fink and MacPorts and also submitting them upstream if that makes sense. First thing \
to do is update the horribly outdated set of pages at http://mac.kde.org/, by the \
way.

One thing that has been crossing my mind since aKademy is a KDE on Mac installer. The \
Windows dudes have done this and it's been working out great - but they don't have a \
package manager and we do. I've been thinking about creating an installer that, after \
some basic system checks and asking the user what he wants, installs Fink or \
MacPorts, configures that, then proceeds to tell the package manager to install KDE. \
It could become a KDE-oriented "front-end" to Fink and MacPorts, also alerting the \
user of updates now and then.

Does this make sense?

Sjors

["smime.p7s" (smime.p7s)]

0	*H
 010	+0	*H
 l0h0P 0
	*H
0y10U
Root CA10Uhttp://www.cacert.org1"0 UCA Cert Signing \
Authority1!0	*H 	support@cacert.org0
100705230101Z
120704230101Z010USjors Gielen1$0"	*H
	sjorsgielen@gmail.com1"0 	*H
	dazjorz@dazjorz.com1&0$	*H
	dazjorz@kmess.org1,0*	*H
	dazjorz@users.sourceforge.net10	*H
	sjors@kmess.org0"0
	*H
0
ףڨ :1irATu=_nao" \
'@8]o-:i@vw(	E{TZgK1"n \
a%#M܇\MȲ!ÆgcEp=2Rn2(`3u벽I]vKKr\2<뼃 \
cM|tPQ!^Ԗx4~ \
r߇WmC􅚲"@;2g@9u@5!DFYuЫh׃}v0r0U00V	`HB
 IGTo get your own certificate for FREE head over to \
http://www.CAcert.org0@U%907++ +7

+7
	`HB02+&0$0"+0http://ocsp.cacert.org0U0sjors \
 	*H
REXp}
;/,u^W92J4eIGLY(k4%Y< %$
%q9,ܛQeAfyruOExl2t_pп;Rmܻ(pEҍʛ#P'$Ѝd$?}P.^_"HDόüNי	x	ĺQ6ؓ \
W wZ; ZUpz\$"{aƃ}Ri \
Qs8	;x-t=;`lĒEp$$vhgGKEk \
(r<3KI/cT:NNQGur 7K)tOVE5B|(kA; \
"tS(V+M3%62D6`;8~CN	WȊOCvږ^'xC:F/"RP?$n#!ټw!! \
2aOǓ^7@צ.wn130/00y10U Root \
CA10Uhttp://www.cacert.org1"0 UCA Cert Signing Authority1!0	*H \
	support@cacert.org0	+ 0	*H 	1	*H
0	*H
	1
100813114627Z0#	*H
	1puG1_\,V!0	+7100y10U
Root CA10Uhttp://www.cacert.org1"0 UCA Cert Signing \
Authority1!0	*H 	support@cacert.org0*H
	1 0y10U
Root CA10Uhttp://www.cacert.org1"0 UCA Cert Signing \
Authority1!0	*H 	support@cacert.org0
	*H
aN-^sIJЯۛU*!vC#"g|ndO}k>$x^Ս!hmwGK)!|O5rthh3ucF
 qSrY߳$VZަ[Fw[w-VMHXOxI8bq9۷:OcY~5ӋGTh \
+)TcҮ@4ȦlY&PX:7萆f