List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: What KDE needs at this point...
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-01 10:58:57

On Thursday 31 May 2001 11:53, Torsten Rahn wrote:
|   On Thursday 31 May 2001 04:44, Jim Doen wrote:
|   > Fonts, Color-Schemes, Icons, Backgrounds
|   > ========================================
|   >
|   > After installing the latest KDE tonight, I say that KDE needs an
|   > incredible graphics artist(s) to develop icons and backgrounds for its
|   > default look.
|
|   We are always happy to receive your artwork or an additional graphics
|   artist  payed / provided by you :-)

Im process of preparing new themes, I did several simple but nice
background patterns (to be used as wallpapers).
Would you like me to contribute them? What should be the process?
I have sent some info to kde-artist but received no answer.

Besides, I would contribute most of my themes (some of them are backports of
original SawFish and IceWM themes, some are my babies)

|   > The lastest KDE is great -- however, it needs be more polished and
|   > professional-looking-- with better icons, fonts, backgrounds, and
|   > color-schemes.
|
|   We are perfectionists so we agree on that statement. The kde-artist-team
|   is always trying to improve the look of KDE.
|
|   > As much as I don't care for Macs, they are probably the best when it
|   > comes to color-selection, fonts, icons, and a overall professional
|   > look....
|   >
|   > http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/finder.html
|
|   Well, using MacOS X you can assume a lot of things you don't
|   have necessarily available on Linux, like alphablending, antialiasing,
|   good fonts and a lot of other stuff.

But users can take good (MS/Monotype fonts) from their Windows partition.
That's, for example, what I did.
I have KDE with Arial, Verdana, Times New Roman, etc...
Besides the fact that these fonts are of high quality, they support Unicode.

[...]
|   > At any rate, KDE needs cleaner/nicer icons, fonts, backgrounds, and
|   > colors-schemes for its default look (since more users leave everything
|   > set to default).
|
|   We'll probably have multiple "default-looks" for KDE 2.2.
|   And the user will very easily be able to adjust the amount of eyecandy
|   according to his needs / hardware. We are working on the issues you have
|   mentioned and I guess you will be much more pleased with the results in
| KDE 2.2.

Nice to hear :-)

--
Greetings,

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
http://kde2.newmail.ru/index_rus.html  (Russian)
Do you have Arial font installed? Just test it!
http://kde2.newmail.ru/font_test_arial.html