List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: What KDE needs at this point...
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-06-01 4:10:37

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 22:44, Jim Doen wrote:
> Fonts, Color-Schemes, Icons, Backgrounds
>
> After installing the latest KDE tonight, I say that KDE needs an incredible
> graphics artist(s) to develop icons and backgrounds for its default look.
>
> The lastest KDE is great -- however, it needs be more polished and
> professional-looking-- with better icons, fonts, backgrounds, and
> color-schemes.
>
> As much as I don't care for Macs, they are probably the best when it comes
> to color-selection, fonts, icons, and a overall professional look....
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/theater/finder.html
>
> At any rate, KDE needs cleaner/nicer icons, fonts, backgrounds, and
> colors-schemes for its default look (since more users leave everything set
> to default).

I have a hard time believing that KDE could HAVE nicer icons, and I disagree
about the Mac. You don't have much *choice* on the Mac, and that more than
loses any ground they may arguably have in default eye-candy.  And that
"professional look" of theirs sometimes stomps all over useability, and with
hob-nail boots.  Just look at that sorry-ass QuickTime interface.

But while we're on the subject, could somebody PLEASE explain to me why every
other contribution to KDE-Look (I'm exaggerating) suggests that KDE should
look like something else?  It should look like NextStep, it should look like
MacOS, it should look like BeOS, it should look like GNOME, it should look
like Windows...  God forbid that KDE look distinctively like KDE!  Imagine
the result if all of the advice offered were taken. KDE would look grungy
like GNOME, yet simultaneously aqueous. Wet grime... just what we need. (if
there's not already a theme for it, there will be, I'm sure :))

It's a wonder that Torsten's head doesn't explode from the conflicting
pressures.  Personally, I LIKE the default look they've come up with. It's
professional and clean, and you can actually tell what the bloody icons
represent. And I like the themeability.  I use the default, though I'm sure
others (my son included) could start a "Theme of the Week" club.

BTW, Torsten, and all the other contributors... THANKS!

<snip>

What the F***??  I'll pass.  It doesn't run on real computers anyway.

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld