List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Icon Usability
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-03-21 14:25:46

On Thursday 22 March 2001 17:11, you wrote:
> I think this is good in some ways and bad in others. It is good as it
> makes the data easier for us to process, but it is bad in that
> conditioning results to some extent by providning pre selected options.

True. Perhaps a multiple choice can be done during a second phase of the
poll, after the designer has had a chance to make improvements to the icon.
Then, you could take the top 10 user answers for the icon in the previous
poll, and display them as multiple choice during the second phase poll to
make sure the icon is now being understood accurately by the vast majority
(90%+).

This method would be more useful for the ACTION icons of course, where many
icons could use a little improvement, which is what I'm experimenting with
in some spare time:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com/theme.png

> I assume grabbing the values from the boxes then checking if there is a
> DB entry should be ok. If there is no DB entry creating a new one.
> What do you mean by a dynamic form including write in? Could you please
> clafiry. :-)

You describe what I mean with your first sentence :). But you should moderate
all submissions before they are used in the form. Otherwise you'll get
"Monitor" and "Montinor" entries and so on :).

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.