List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-03-13 14:40:00

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 11:19, Marc Mutz wrote:
> I do like the konsole tabs, too.

Please permit me to throw my opinion into the mix on this issue, and I
apologize if I echo other messages of late!

I think an intelligent SDI is the best solution, for the very compelling
argument that this enables the SDI to be improved through upgrades to the KDE
base and not through separate upgrades to all KDE applications. We have
already seen the result of disparate MDIs that do not share a common
interface.

If we can build a taskbar that supports grouping (via tabs or another
metaphor) then this is one step towards a truly intelligent SDI. With my
recent experiments with Kicker config, I'd say one great solution would be to
add a taskbar applet option that allowed one to SHOW ONLY RELATED APPS. One
could then add a secondary kicker panel and add a taskbar applet to it with
this option enabled. Therefore, when a kwrite window has the focus, only
kwrite buttons appear in this secondary task bar. The same for konqueror,
netscape, kedit, konsole and so on. Of course, all windows show up in the
main taskbar. I believe this would be an incredibly productivity boost for me.

Another issue for me personally is that MDI is a pain in the arse, because
when (not if) an application crashes it takes all open documents with it. I
truly hate that. Granted, it doesn't happen often, but when it does I want
the damage to be localized not broad. Konqueror suffers from this sort of
behavior, in that when it crashes it takes down many other Konq windows
which is a real blow to my productivity.

Sean.