List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: The Copy/Paste Problem
From:       Sergej Malinovski <sergej () nospam ! dk>
Date:       2001-03-11 23:16:36

Henry Stanaland wrote:
> Well, look at it this way.  If you do NOT have 2 buffers, then that
> means that you
> cannot "copy" text by SELECTING it.  Which means the only way to copy and
> paste would be the explicit way.

Wouldn't that be great? :)

> I don't know what to tell you.... too bad?  This is an X thing, and
> aside from the
> point that it's hard as hell to get those X people to change
> anything(remember it's
> not just Linux), most people do like it.

Allright, I will leave you people alone. Too bad for me, I guess.

> The only way I can imagine having a "paste" on the mouse would be if you
> are lucky
> like me and have an extra "thumb" button that you could set to use
> explicit paste.  But

Now, how *do* I go about changing mouse butto assignment (I know about
-pointer option in xmodmap, but does something a little different)? Couldn't
find any info on the Net :-(

> Anyhow, Konqueror already has a solution.  They have that "X" that
> clears the location
> bar which allows you to subsequently middle-click.

Yeah, too bad it only solves the problem for one program for one entry. I'd
say it's a step in the right direction.

> But, I really think our goal should be to aim for consistency by
> following the
> freedesktop's standards rather than throwing them out the window shortly
> after they
> have become standards.

I agree. Toying around with ideas never hurts though.

--
Sergej Malinovski [http://dreamer.nitro.dk]