List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kde-look@kde.orgRe: Icon improvements.
From:       Sergej Malinovski <sergej () nospam ! dk>
Date:       2001-03-11 16:49:28

Dave Leigh wrote:
> The biggest reason for "copy on select" is that it gives you
> interoperability with non-KDE (and even non-X, running in an X-term)
> applications.

That's the bottom line, yes.

> 1. The result of the actions "select", then "point", then "press center
> button" should remain unchanged.
> 2. Ctrl-C should copy the "selection buffer" to a "copy buffer".  Ctrl-X
> additionally removes the selection.
> 3. Ctrl-V pastes from the copy buffer.

Aren't you describing the exact behaviour Henry referred to? This *will* be
better because it removes the current confusion. I would just go a bit
further, forget about non-KDE apps (as much as I wouldn't want to do that)
and do what I described in prior mails.

However, here's something of a compromise between your suggestion and mine.
Or it's just a better overall solution :) Implement all this crap as
described in the document Henry referred to, plus make middle mouse
configurable. It doesn't have to be as fancy as with most mouse drivers in
Windows, but there should be two options: middle button pastes from PRIMARY
(call it "Yank") and middle buttons pastes from SECONDARY (call it "Paste").
I would be happy with Paste, and people with non-KDE apps (and other
intentions) would use Yank as before.

How about this, eh?

--
Sergej Malinovski [http://dreamer.nitro.dk]