List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Klipper [ was Re: Icon improvements. ]
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-03-11 14:45:18

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I've gotten into the habit of clicking the icons, because I believe the
> Ctrl key is misplaced. It is easier for me to use the mouse than it is
> to type Ctrl-[key]. The Alt key (as used by Netscape) is in a much
> better position, ergonomically, since you can hold it down with your
> thumb instead of the weakest finger on your hand, the little finger.
> Apple had the right idea: they put the Command key (equivalent to the
> Ctrl) next to the space bar, and the rarely-used Option key (equivalent
> to Alt) on outside.

I can't give much weight to the "weakest finger" complaint.  C(++) uses the
hell out of the semicolon, which is accessed by the weakest finger.  Both
shift keys are accessed by the little finger, and they're used more often
than the Ctrl or Alt keys.

Most keyboards already take diminished control of these fingers into account,
in that non-home positions (Tab, Caps Lock, Shift, Backspace, Enter, and Ctrl
keys) are larger and easier to hit.  I've never seen a keyboard so stiff as
to make weakness an issue.

In any case, it seems to me that the placement of the Ctrl and Alt keys are
purely personal preference.  I happen to like the Ctrl key on the outside,
since placing it directly under the X, C, and V seems a little cramped to me.
(actually, my preferred spot on my Microsoft Natural keyboard is precisely
where the Windows key is located (on the left) and where the option menu key
is located (on the right)).

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld