List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Klipper [ was Re: Icon improvements. ]
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-03-11 14:55:52

Second attempt at sending this -- I managed to crash Netscape the first
time, experimenting with the way it handles keyboard accelerators and
shortcuts. My conclusion? It doesn't handle them very well! :-)

Sean Pecor wrote:

> I don't know why, but this doesn't happen on my machine. If I select a line
> of text, then CUT, then select another line, then PASTE, the cut line
> replaces the selected line. I have experience what you describe but I can't
> recall how I triggered it.

What app(s) are you using to get this behaviour? On my machine, the
biggest culprits are KWrite and Kedit.

> > I've gotten into the habit of clicking the icons, because I believe the
> > Ctrl key is misplaced. It is easier for me to use the mouse than it is
> > to type Ctrl-[key].
>
> I guess this is an ergonomics and preference issue, because I love where the
> CTRL key is placed on my 107 key keyboard.

What is your keyboard layout? On my keyboard, it is:

[ctrl] [windows] [alt] [spacebar] [alt] [windows] [menu] [ctrl]

I don't use the windows or menu keys, not even under Windows, and in
fact I think they are a nuisance since I'm always hitting them by
accident. But I suppose some people find them useful.

Just on the off-chance that they could be useful, is there a way of
enabling them under KDE? Does anyone use them?

> I can easily hold the ctrl key
> down and press the cvx keys that are close by.

I suppose ctrl- X C or V aren't too bad, but almost any other key? --
forget it, instant RSI!

On my old Mac, with the Command key where the alt key is on this
keyboard, I used to use command-shortcuts all the time. Since migrating
to Windows/Linux, I practically never use them, not even for simple
things like Save.

At the risk of being howled down, I don't suppose there is any chance of
a global setting to reverse the functions of the ctrl and alt keys?
Under Windows-mode, ctrl would be used for shortcuts and alt for
accelerators, and under (umm, not sure what to call this -- maybe emacs
mode? Netscape mode?), ctrl would handle accelerators and alt would
handle shortcuts.

--
Steven D'Aprano