List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Three separate discussions about mouse pointers on three different lists
From:       "CiAsA S'Nuey Boark" <ciasa () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2001-03-10 16:14:28

On Friday 09 March 2001 02:53 pm, Dave Leigh wrote:
> I apologize most profusely to those who may have seen this message before.
> I've had a little trouble the mailer responding to this particular message.
>
> On Thursday 08 March 2001 04:28, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
> > I tried this once, and it sucks. First of all, the mouse image will be
> > way behind where the X-Server thinks the mouse is, and secondly, you will
> > loose the differently shaped cursors for example on the corners of the
> > window, if you chase the hotspot with your image.
>
> I think this is worth a second look. When I'm in Konqueror and I drag a
> thumbnail, it stays right with the mouse, no problem, even if it's
> multicoloured and relatively large, and even though my machine only turns
> in a paltry 599 bogomips.  At this point it would be difficult to convince
> me that a pseudocursor would be too slow.

How would kde handle the use of non kde apps though?  Dont the apps have
final say over what the cursor would look like.  so if your trying to drag
something in gmc, the cursor is supposed to change shape to represent
dragging something, but would kde still draw its own colored cursor instead
of gmc's cursor.  or would they both be drawn? (colored cursor on bottom with
black and white cursor on top).  Personally, I'd say that this is not the job
for kde, but instead a job for the xfree86 guys, or at least a cross desktop
standards group.
--
ciasa