List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KSpread's icon...
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-01-29 11:44:00

Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > By now there is the symbol of the european currency used in KSpread's
> > icon. But isn't this a little to eurocentric? Maybe it was chosen to
> > show opposition to the US-$, but why then not use the yen's symbol or
> > something else?
>
> I don't really see a reason to change that icon. There are a lot of
> americanisms in the icons as well and some things that are typical for europe
> or other parts of the world. The HTML-icon, the kppp-icon and the ksirc-icon
> even cover the whole world together. So we have imo quite a good mixture
> presently.

Could you please tell me what icons you think of to have americanisms? I
didn't find one (KDE 2.0.0). All I found was the mouse's icon to have
Logitech's sign.

The world as part of a symbol is okay in my eyes, being not political
but showing the "limit" of the app ;). - Well, perhaps some antiliberal
might find this political... But as KDE is a free, global thing they
wouldn't use it if they really beleave themselfs ;) So no need to care
for that.

Even if there is a good mixture, it would be one of the main cultures.
As much as I understood (maybe lead by wish ;) the KDE community tries
to develop something that can also be adjusted to the wishes and needs
of everybody, including cultural things. But if the standard version
already is bound to some big cultures I expect users whose culture
hasn't a KDE localization yet to not like it from the beginning.

Just my opinion

Friedrich