List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KSpread's icon...
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2001-01-29 12:02:34

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" wrote:
> > So I would propose to change that Euro into the greek letter used for
> > sum. It's again a little western centric perhaps (how are equations
> > written in chinese or japanese written today?) but isn't that much in
> > danger to be political.
>
> Most serious mathematical work (apart from basic calculations) is
> written in English/Greek symbols. Not neccessarily the English language,
> but using the same symbols.

That's what it seems to me too. BTW those letters are latin not english
;)

Where do the people on this list origin from? Any one from Asia? What
other cultures are there on this planet that should be cared of?

> The greek letter you refer to, sigma, won't mean anything to 90% of

Ups. 90%? But isn't this something what is teached in the first years of
math education? Sigh... did I really lose contact to the base?

> users. Even spreadsheet users. You'd be amazed how many spreadsheet
> users don't even know how to calculate sums! But in any case, I think

What are spreadsheets used for, then? I thought summing is the basic
operation.

> sigma would be better suited for an equation editor.

But with a spreadsheet and a calculator togheter? I think this to be
unmistakable.

Friedrich