List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: DialogBoxes (was: Cookie window popup)
From:       Alexander Kellett <alexandertje () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-09-11 7:58:28

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 03:44:57AM +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> For instance, (going by memory here, its been a while), if you open the
> Monitors control panel, and then open a sub-dialog, you have modal
> dialog with OK and Cancel buttons positioned over the top of the
> Monitors CP. The trouble is, the CP's own OK and Cancel buttons are
> still visible. In my experience, the user doesn't even notice the
> buttons in the modal dialog because they expect them to be towards the
> bottom of the window, and the CP's buttons are further down and
> therefore stand out more. Especially since there is no visual indication
> that the lower pair of buttons are inactive.

Rather than the difficult/impossible option of translucency wouldn't
disabling the buttons be a quick and obvious fix? i can't think of any other
cheaper feedback methods ;)

I usually like dialogs either positioned under the mouse or in the center of
its parent in fact while on this topci the under mouse thing is a nice option
to add to kwin (don't confuse this with the currently available "manual"
positioning option).

Alex

--
Eidetica                                           kelletta@eidetica.com
Kruislaan 400                               tel +31 20 888 4090 fax 4001