List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: DialogBoxes (was: Cookie window popup)
From:       Magnus Ihse <d95-mih () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       2000-09-11 11:30:29

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> > Besides, I prefer full screen windows over cascading and I would wager that
> > over half of emerging computer users prefer full screen windows too. In fact,
> > I have yet to see a non-programmer working in anything OTHER than full screen
> > mode.
>
> I'm a non-programmer and I *hate* full screen mode. Passionately.
>
> In my opinion, the only reason many users work in full-screen mode is
> because MS Office apps default to full-screen mode, and they don't know
> how to get out of it. So they think that's the only way the programs
> work.

I am a programmer and I definitely prefer using full screen
mode. :) So, now we have all opionions represented. :-)

Or, let me rather put it like this: I like to use the complete screen
area for the task at hand. Sometimes this involved several console
windows, or several file manager windows, but mostly I want one
maximized browser window, or one maximized word processing window.

Unfortunately, there is really no good way of supporting this kind of
flow of work. Virtual desktops is a step in the right direction, but
it's not perfect. I have some sketchy ideas lurking down in the
semiconcious parts of my brain of how to improve this, but I have yet
to find some time to try to make them more concrete...

/Magnus