List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: DialogBoxes (was: Cookie window popup)
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2000-09-10 17:57:50

Sean Pecor wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > In my opinion, the only reason many users work in full-screen mode is
> > because MS Office apps default to full-screen mode, and they don't know
> > how to get out of it. So they think that's the only way the programs
> > work.
>
> That could be. But most novice and the majority of the intermediate
> computer users I've monitored in focus groups do not even have a basic
> understanding of task switching or "multiple windows". They don't understand
> that you can run more than one program and task switch. They don't understand
> that two windows beside each other can be different programs. They don't use
> the task bar even though it sits there taunting them constantly.

Yes, I can understand that the concepts could be difficult to pick up.
I'm working with a group of people who had absolutely minimal computer
experience. We started off running a single "screen based" program on an
ancient machine before switching to networked Windows PCs 18 months ago.
Its been very enlightening to watch them learn - or fail to learn - how
to use their PCs.

So there has been a steep learning curve for them, but most of them can
now comprehend the basics. (Interestingly, they didn't learn this by
having multiple instances of work-related tasks open. They learnt this
by keeping their email clients open while they were working on other
things :-)

I've learnt a lot by watching them learn. The two most important things
I've learnt are (1) even the most clueless user can learn to use a
program - maybe not efficiently, maybe by rote memorization, but they
they will learn; and (2) the younger they are, the better they learn and
the less fear they have of computers.

> I admit I don't use full screen widows 100% of the time. I'll get out of them
> when I'm forced to do so (drag-drop limitations, etc.). But full screen
> windows enhance the particular way that I like to work, and as a bonus I
> don't spend time monkeying around with window placements frantically like
> I've watched others do.

That's fine. I don't have any objection to people who want to work in
full screen mode. But its just not for me :-)

--
Steven D'Aprano