List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: RFC: StyleGuide for Labels? (fwd)
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-07-05 10:58:02

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Magnus Ihse wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Peter Putzer wrote:
>
> > > Labels take rich text, so you can just <em>markup</em> what needs it.
> >
> > Sure, italic/bold/red/blinking text is VERY readable... *ahem*
>
> Bold text is usually more readable than plain, on a computer
> screen. Depending on typeface, of course.

Please, I think it was clear what I meant. Besides, <em> is italic, which
is not easy to read.

> > > Much better for i18n too !
> >
> > How so? A message to translate is a message to translate...
>
> Because it is AFAIK only English which use the "title" style as an
> alternative to normal sentence style. At least, I've never seen it in
> any of the european languages I know (about). Which actually makes
> this debate more of a question of the "english translation team",
> than a proper UI question.

It is a UI question because "title style" is a concept translatable to
(almost) all languages, regardless whether that means "All Caps" or
something else.

As Tom stated, it's a matter of information hierarchy.

regards,
Peter