List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Just a thought
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2000-07-02 15:29:08

Thomas wrote:

> WAKE UP

Please don't yell, I have a headache.

> If for the last decade or so one companyy has been innovating it has
> been Microsoft.

Look, I'm the guy who has been saying all along that there are things
we can learn from even Windows, and that it isn't totally useless.
Just mostly.

Like Miracle Max says in the Princess Bride, there's a big difference
between All Dead and Mostly Dead. And its the same with Windows.

> Just because they like selling better then creating a completed
> piece of software doesn't mean they don't innovate.

Its arguable just how much innovation Microsoft have actually
developed on their own, how much they have copied from others, and how
much they bought from smaller companies.

But really, at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Innovation is
good, but not for its own sake. The aim is better software, and
innovation is just one tool among many towards that goal. I don't
think there are too many people on this list who would argue that
Microsoft produces excellent software. "Just good enough" is perhaps
the best you could say about their OSes.

> Even MS has to compete on features. You just mentioned a feature.
>
> btw; you don't run kde2 right?

No I don't. I keep going to the KDE site, and I keep seeing the words
"beta test" after "kde2", and I'm afraid that puts me off. True
confession time: I'm still not confident enough with my Linux skills
to go playing with beta software.

That's one of the reasons why I use KDE instead of Gnome. Gnome is
more fun to look at, but has the disturbing habit of crashing on me.

--
Steven D'Aprano