List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Just a thought
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       2000-07-02 2:21:46

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Remember when Win98 came out with an integrated web browser as part of
> its file manager? And the huge outcry it caused, leading (indirectly)
> to the US DoJ's recent ruling that Microsoft should be split in two.
> KDE also has an integrated web/file browser (originally kfm, and now
> konquorer).
>
> Don't tell me that Microsoft actually *did* innovate something! My
> world is crashing down about me, somebody please tell me MS stole the
> idea from KDE and not the other way around :-)

Well actually I.E. integrated into Windows isn't that innovative.
Browsers (including Netscape 0.96) have supported the file:/// protocol
for browsing local disks for a long time. nfs for even longer has
allowed browsing of remote disks mounted locally. Microsoft simply took
that idea, figured out it could turn Internet Explorer into an embedded
app, and run it inside of explorer (well actually, it appears to start
another app in the same window). I don't run Windows nearly enough to
know or care.

Still Microsoft did implement it, and did it better then before (but
with security, stability and wasted memory). KDE gets the chance now to
take it to the next generation, with much better security, more
efficient memory usage, etc.

--
Andrew B. Arthur               | http://www.imaclinux.net/
arthur99@global2000.net        |  iMac Not Required (but Recommended)!!