List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kicker
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       2000-04-30 1:10:59

Dave Leigh wrote:

> I'm wondering.  Is there anybody anywhere who has lost or forgotten what the
> K menu is for after having used it once?  I'm not so sure that sparkles and
> animations would be nearly as effective as a simple welcome message that's
> displayed the very first time a user runs KDE, with a "Don't display this
> again" checkbox.  The message would inform the user that the K menu exists
> and what it's for, and it's simpler to implement.

This is true. A message starting out would be just as helpful (assuming
people actually read it -- many people might just race right past it and
not notice it or start using an account that has already been running
KDE for a while.

That's why I think something like a sparkle on the K wouldn't probably
be too hard to implement, and if it was small enough, used little cpu
and wasn't too distracting, it could make a good highlight to locate the
K. A user could then just take one glance at the screen and notice the
K.