List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kicker
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       2000-04-30 1:23:59

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Beginners like fun things. They even like the MS Office dancing
> paperclip. They don't like reading messages on the computer. It
> worries them.

This is an important factor to consider. Beginners and non-hardcore
users like a little bit of flash to things. A little bit of flash
(movement, color, etc.) also can used as a source to direct the
unexperienced user's attention. Apple experiments with this in Aqua --
using pulsating buttons and colors to direct attention away and towards
certian items. However it's clear that they went a bit overboard, to the
point where the default configuration would fill annoying to the user.

If you were to add any action to the K Menu it needs to be noticable,
but not annoying. This means you are probably limited to only pushing
around 4 pixels or less. This effect should not move quickly, it should
be a slow movement, and should not happen often (and preferably only
when the computer is idle after about 8-15 seconds). You don't want the
effect running full time, it would be just too annoying and distracting.

Still keeping it from getting on peoples nerves will be hard....So I am
not sure if this pratical (from a design and human perspective).

Most hackers, hard-core users, etc. don't care for the flash -- they
find it more of a distraction to real work -- after all they know what
to be looking at and for -- and don't need the computer's help.

Being configurable does help, but it's not perfect. Configuring apps
takes a bit of experience (to know how to open the settings, and locate
the proper settings).