List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Draggable menus
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-30 1:08:56

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> 2) Having a handle on the edge of the menubar in window mode is fine,
> but keeping the handle there in screen mode is counter productive. By
> having the handle between the edge of the screen and the menu titles,
> you lose the benefit of the "infinitely deep" top left corner. That
> corner is far too valuable to waste it on a drag handle!
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to where the handle can be placed to
> keep it out of that corner?

There is no handle at all in menubars, so this is now a moot point.

> 3) Dragging the menubar into the top of the screen docks it into
> screen mode. Dragging it back close to the window titlebar docks it
> into window mode. What should happen when the user drags the menubar
> somewhere else?

This was suggested and rejected as it is inconsistent.  If you drag a
menubar from *one* app to a screen mode menubar, then it affects *all*
apps.  It should never be possible for one app to affect all other
ones.

And if it *didn't* affect all other ones, it would be horribly
inconsistent.

> 4) Is it worth discussing tear-off menus? (Individual menus rather
> than the entire menubar.) Or do we leave this can of worms unopened
> for the time being?

Tear-off menus are there for KDE2.  They are just disabled by default.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix