List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       "Tomas Furmonavicius" <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       2000-04-29 19:42:15

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 12:51:40AM +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Lots of people have made a lot of good points both for and against top
> of the screen style menus. My comments, for what they're worth.

<...>

Well, everybody keeps talking about Windows, MacOS. Lets not forget
that there are and will be lots of people with mainly Unix/X
background using KDE. And lets not forget that KDE is _Unix_ desktop,
not a shell replacing explorer.exe.

There are lot's of Unix like OSes and lots of GUIs for these OSes
(Motif/CDE, XView/OpenLook, NeXT) but Mac style menu
is not used in any of these GUIs.

Everybody is talking about MacOS as an example of UI
design. NeXT Step is also usually considered to be good UI - so why
there's no Mac style menu?

 Probably because Unix workstations are usually equiped with large
screens and this fact raises a number of problems with Mac style
menubar. I won't repeat them (as they were already mentioned), but I
can add one more - too large eye movements from application to menubar
disturbing user. Also, Mac style menubar doesn't work in "focus follows
mouse" mode which is popular (I believe) among X users, and probably
almost unknown for Windows and Mac users.

So Mac style menu should not be default.

Tomas