List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Improvements to menubar
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-29 19:30:15

Now I'm not entirely sure what you are talking about since you seem to
confuse the mac menubar and the K menu and use them interchangably.
But I'll respond anyway.. :-)

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> The first is that, as it stands, the KDE menubar isn't quite obvious
> enough at the top of the screen. On MacOS, the menubar is always a
> nice bright white, and even so, beginners who are used to Windows
> don't always notice it. Under KDE, we can't use colour to cue the
> user because the colour of the menubar is set according to the
> current theme. But we can make it more obvious by making it slightly
> bigger.  Not too much more - just three or four pixels taller.

Actually, the current style is responsible for drawing the menubar.
Some of them (the default and hicolor, at least) DO draw it lighter
then the rest of the menus.

> Secondly, I'd suggest that the font used by menus needs to be
> bolder.  It would be nice if the menu font was under user control,
> rather than just to use the catch-all category "General font" under
> the Display Settings.

Are you using KDE2?  There is a 'Menu font' setting already there.

> Thirdly, it would be nice if the K icon was more colourful. As it
> stands now, its very plain and boring, more suitable to a black and
> white display than to colour. This would also help make the menubar
> more obvious to beginners. Any artists out there got a suggestion
> for a colourful K?

What does the K icon have to do with the menubar?

> My next point will seem a little strange at first sight, because
> according to Fitts Law the K menu has effectively infinite area. But
> I believe the K icon needs to be moved in slightly away from the
> edge of the screen, so that the active area is larger (larger than
> infinity?  :-). By this I mean the *visible* active area (the bit
> with the box around it) is a little larger. Of course, this active
> area will still extend to the very edge of the screen so as to take
> advantage of Fitts Law.

The K icon is on the panel not on the menubar...
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix