List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Improvements to menubar
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2000-04-29 21:24:21

Federico Cozzi wrote:

>  But I must say, I prefer the "click to open"-menu versus the
> "open menu follows mouse"-menu, because I think it's easier on
> motion-impaired (and mouse-impaired :-) people.

I find that when I know what I'm looking for, I use the click to open
method. But when I'm hunting for an unknown item in an unknown menu I
hold and drag. Its not a deliberate decision, it just happens.

>  A single click is easier to obtain than a perfect movement of the mouse.

True. But what if the command isn't in the menu you clicked in? Then
you still have to move the mouse, and click again, and move, and
click, ...

This isn't an argument for one action or the other. Its just nice to
be able to use both, as appropriate.

> Also, if you half-click (i.e. you don't release the mouse button) on
> "click to open"-menus you get exactly the "open menu follows mouse"-menus
> behaviour.
>
> Shortly: I advocate the "click to open"-menu type, for every KDE program.

No need to change this, because KDE menus already have this behaviour.

Unless you are proposing to drop the "open menu follows mouse"
behaviour? I think this would be very annoying to the majority of
users who aren't motion or mouse impaired. Especially when they are
hunting for an item and don't know which menu it is under.

--
Steven D'Aprano