List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Again - UI
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       2000-04-23 14:29:48

> zander@microweb.nl wrote:
> >
> > > But on the other hand , it's not a task of ordinary user to backup
> > > filesystems or reinstall them. And any system administrator probably
> > > will feel more comfortable with simple 'mount' (which lists all mounted
> > > filesystems).
> > >
> > > Tomas
> > >

> > Excuse me, you keep talking about 'administrator' These tasks (handling
> > large files etc.) seem to me that are done by everyone. More to the point;
> > the 'next man' that grabs a linux distro is a user, no administrator in
> > sight. So if you want KDE/unix to become more mainstream, you will have
> > to let go of the 'seperated administrator' concept.
>
> I think you are wrong about this, we need this concept (in fact MS windows
> is moving towards it too). The problem is that users (and some badly
> written software) make horrible mistakes sometimes. By keeping root
> special we reduce the possibility for disasters by making sure the
> user thinks before making changes.

Agreed 100%. What I wanted to say is that users and administrators can be the
same people. In the context of the first email this means that administator
tasks can be put into KDE and do not require a special person who knows
how to mount/umount from an CLI. (for example)

> What is needed is for the distributions to conceal a lot of this from
> users, by using tools such as kdesu. For example it should be possible
> to do bind something like: "kdesu -c "rpm -U %f" to RPM files.

As long as you are not only talking about linux distro's but also any
package which can be downloaded and installed. For example if koffice didn't
come with my distro, I would want to download it and install it easily.

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
History repeats itself, it has to nobody ever listens.         gpg-key:  0588D5