List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE Standards - Basic - Windows
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       1999-09-22 18:12:48

> > > 2) File->Close should mean "close file" or "close document" (or "close image", or whatever you have)
> > Totally agree (some people think it should mean 'close window'...), but
> > still I heard no reason, why we need a Close.
> >
> > > After all this option is in the file menu. Close never quits the application.
> > Agree.
> >
> > > * For SDI this means that the document is closed but not the window. An empty window will
> > > remain.
> > Agree, but where's the sense (english?) of an empty window? We have a
> > SINGLE-document-interface with NO document :-) The developer would have
> > to inactivate all menus except File->new and File->open.
>
> He has to do that anyway, because when the application is started manually, it will
> not have any document loaded.

Why not? And how do I start a new (empty) document.

> > Q: tell me one example, where you need to 'Close' a document (=> empty
> > window) in a SDI and not closing the window...
>
> It depends. I have made a drawing and want to throw it away to make a new one.
> Or I have this document and want to start working on another document.
> Currently 'open' replaces an existing document so this is not really needed,
> however when 'open' opens a document in a 'new' window, you need to have
> a way to close an existing document to be able to replace it.
>
> It is very much coupled to the behaviour of the 'open' function. Both variants are
> consistent but I think having an open which doesn't close an existing document
> by default is more intuitive.

Would an open new, or a new->open do any good for you?

> > > 4) File->Open opens a new file/document/image without closing any existent document.
> > >
> > > * In SDI the document is opened in the main-window if it is empty, or in a new one if the
> > > window already contains a document.
> > I see what you mean and why you want an empty window. But don't you
> > think having no Close and no empty window leads to less confusion? I
> > mean: you say "if the window is empty, 'open' does this, if the window
> > has a document, 'open' does that" and "if the window is empty, 'new'
> > does this, if the window has a document, 'new' does that".
>
> No. New always opens a new empty window.

Again; how do I start a new (empty) document.

> If you want to open a second document you now have to create a new window
> first before you can open the second document there. I think opening a second
> document is a very common action.

new-> open  or 'open in new window' would make that easy.

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
Today, it's understood that of course you'll use a computer,