List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Quit/Close: please check site.
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () jk ! uni-linz ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-09-16 9:57:20

I think I give up now - I discuss now more than 2 months about this
Close/Exit/Quit-topic. All solutions you mentioned in the last mails
were allready discussed.

It seems there is no solution everybody likes. Yesterday I thought "we
have it", but was wrong.

What I allways miss are COMPLETE suggestions, how somebody wants to have
it. I write things again and again and after 2 weeks a new mailer comes
and says "but I want to have it this way" => starts the discussion
again...

Please make a short HTML-page with the behaviour you like!
I'll put all pages as link into the UI-standards-page and my
suggestion is, that we only discuss this available pages,
otherwise there'll be no solution until the next century.

I invested much time into this standards-page, but now I'm near giving
up.

Some comments to mails:

> > But to find back to the point: hope you'll agree that no Close is needed
> > :-)
> Too bad, I still do not agree. Please be also aware that the X-Button is
> optional at the top window border. Someone might diable it or use a kde
> compliant wm which does not have this feature. IMHO the X-Button is for
> manipulating the windows (a wm feature) and the close menu entry shall
> control a document.
Please read the standard-page: Quit does the same as the X-Button, so
you can switch the X-Button off with no problem, can use another
window-manager with no problem... Quit is still there.

> Especially with editors I want to have a close menue entry in order to
> be able to handle multiple documents in a single window. (xemacs like
> behaviour)
We don't have a Multiple Documents Interface. xemacs is no KDE-app and
for sure not a example for "user friendlyness".

> Is it me?
>
> I use
> - photoshop
> - windows office applications
> - all macromedia software (dreamweaver/fireworks etc.)
> - soundforge
>
> And all open a new window in the application when you press open.
You speak from a Multiple Document Interface, too. We don't have one in
X-Window. A MDI needs a Close - yes, but we have a SDI and can't change
that.

I don't want to explain again the problems for a user, if a SDI imitates
a MDI...

> I have some experience with simple typists which used an application which
> followed just that thinking. Turned out lots of data was lost. People dont
> want to click twice if ones will do; they dont want to click file->close
> if X does the same.
>
> Make them excactly the same. Let the program prompt with a dialog for
> safe/close ("Do you want to safe before closing?" Yes/No/Cancel) ;-)
Sorry - I started to confuse you, because I wrote something wrong: I did
NOT mean that the X-Button (= same as Quit in the file-menu) saves
automatically a document. There should appear a dialog-box like "you
didn't save your doc. Do wanna save it?...". I think we agree now :-)

I'm very busy the next days and won't have enough time to response to
all mails. I'll collect them for sure, but if we don't come to a common
line with Close/Quit/Exit I'll ask somebody to take my job...

Anyway: thanks for all your comments and suggestions - I know you only
want the same as me: to improve the standards.

Bye!
Peter