List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Quit/Close: please check site.
From:       Derek <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       1999-09-16 8:24:16

> > Print should also not contain the "..." dots. It shall simply print like
> > Save shall simply save. Printer settings should be made with an extra
> > entry.
> Currently not fixed - I've to check to current behaviour of the
> applications first and will add another entry like "Printer
> settings...".

"Print" is destructive: it destroys a piece of paper if things aren't
set up correctly. On a 50 page document that's a problem, and therefore
needs to be confirmed. It seems that what is required is "Print" - to
make the printer do it, "Print preview" - to see what it looks like, and
"Print setup" to change paper size, quality, etc. These are all tightly
related.

Consider a typical sequence: User wants to configure the printer,
preview the output, reconfigure, another preview, select the printer to
output to, then send to printer. This sequence is faster if it happens
from one dialog, rather than going into and out of menus looking for the
options.

I would favour the traditional "Print..." menu option which brings up a
dialog which gives access to all printer related functions (including
configure and preview), and is closed with a "Done" button when the user
has finished with it. Such a dialog could contain an optional thumbnail
preview (like some "Open..." dialogs).

The dialog is more extendable than lots of menu entries. If you want to
add another option (bringing up the printer queue application would be
nice, so you can quickly cancel a print run started in error) a dialog
is the best starting point.