List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: quit/close was: User Interface Standards
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       1999-09-15 20:05:58

> zander@microweb.nl wrote:
> >
> > My argument was that close should always be in place.
> >
> > And on open: this would open a new window if the window contains a non-empty
> > document.
> Would be a solution, BUT (BIG BUT ;-): kedit, kwrite, kword, mswindows,
> ... don't open a new window after pressing 'Open', if the window
> contains allready a document. They ask like "Do you want to save the
> document before opening?". The same with New: no new window will
> opened...
>
> We can't put something into the standards, which acts completely
> different to standard-applications allready used.

Is it me?

I use
- photoshop
- windows office applications
- all macromedia software (dreamweaver/fireworks etc.)
- soundforge

And all open a new window in the application when you press open.
The difference is that in windows an application uses subwindows which
are contained in its own window.
Therefor the menu belongs to the application window.
We don't use that, we only have application windows.

Therefor I would delete the close statement if that means close will
only work on the local window.
Quit would do the same.

On the other hand new should open a new window. ( I really wanna be able
to open more than one document without manually starting the application
twice!)

> So my suggestion: leave away the Close if your application doesn't
> support having a blank window.
>
> Question: should we drop the Close completely? [Dangerous question ;-)]

Ok, you got me!

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
Today, it's understood that of course you'll use a computer,