List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: quit/close was: User Interface Standards
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () jk ! uni-linz ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-09-15 13:30:37

zander@microweb.nl wrote:

> My argument was that close should always be in place.
>
> And on open: this would open a new window if the window contains a non-empty
> document.
Would be a solution, BUT (BIG BUT ;-): kedit, kwrite, kword, mswindows,
... don't open a new window after pressing 'Open', if the window
contains allready a document. They ask like "Do you want to save the
document before opening?". The same with New: no new window will
opened...

We can't put something into the standards, which acts completely
different to standard-applications allready used.

New, Open, Save, Save As, Print... is clear for everyone. Personally I
think you don't need to 'Close' a document (=> blank window). But I
added it to the site, because I heard KWord is able to have blank
windows.

So my suggestion: leave away the Close if your application doesn't
support having a blank window.

Question: should we drop the Close completely? [Dangerous question ;-)]