List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: quit/close was: User Interface Standards
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       1999-09-15 13:11:51

> Wanted to update the UI-standards-site, but there's a small problem:
>
> Thomas said: Close should close the document and open an empty one. In
> the UI-standards-site it says, closing a document results in a "grey"
> window. If an application doesn't support "a grey window" => leave away
> the Close.
>
> In the last mail I agreed with Thomas. But: if a Close closes a document
> and opens an empty one - for what do you need "New..." (new does the
> same: Close old document and open an empty one).
>
> So my suggestion: add only a Close to the file-menu, if the application
> supports "a grey window" without a document in it (like KWord).
> Comments?

My argument was that close should always be in place.

And on open: this would open a new window if the window contains a non-empty
document.

I have always had trouble with the notepad way of thinking, where there is
one application and one window.  and under no surcomstance can you open another
window from withing the application.

btw: allow two functions to have the same function if it takes away confusion..

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
Today, it's understood that of course you'll use a computer,